Underground Power Cable (Level 2)
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic course dates are subject to change due to changing Health & Wellness policies and procedures.
During the course, students will perform core skill tasks and be assessed on performance. Course topics and objectives will include a review of low voltage cables (up to 50 kV) of XLPE (Cross Link Poly Ethylene) and PILC (Paper Insulated Lead).
Students will cover the following theoretical knowledge based components:
- First day Core Utility Work Protection Code
- A.C. fundamentals
- Elements of the Municipal Distribution System
- Transmission and distribution of electric power
- Single phase transformer operation and loading
- Transformer protector operation
- Street light and water heater controls
- Stability and operation of insulated aerial device and boom truck
- Protective fuse co-ordination
- Utility Work Protection Code Overview
- Review of Distribution Underground System
- Cable locating and hi-potting of cables
Working in pairs, students will perform switching and grounding on energized equipment in order to isolate cable or apparatus, install porcelain and heat shrink termination of XLPE cable, complete transition splice lead to XLPE cable and install a pothead on PILC cable.
Successful completion of Underground Power Cable Level 1.
Course Dates and Registration: